Are Co-op Opportunities paid?
No. All co-op placements at the Villa are unpaid, however, St. Joseph’s Villa offers student co-op opportunities that allows you to acquire new skills/interests, develop self-esteem, leadership skills, explore careers in health care, and add relevant experience to your resume.
Do I need to be involved with a school to participate in Co-op?
Yes. You need to be affiliated with a school. We accept high school, college or university students.
What are your most popular placements?
- Nursing – students who are enrolled in a nursing program (college/university level), can shadow our RN, RPN and/or PSW’s and gain hands on experience.
- Nursing for High School Students – students can assist the nursing staff by making beds, portering residents, friendly visiting, meal companion and more).
- Therapeutic Recreation – students can assist the recreation team in planning and implementing creative and innovative programs for the residents and/or clients that we serve in our LTC and Adult Day Program.
- IT Department – gain experience in technology by working side by side with our IT department.
- Maintenance Department – Work and learn hands-on with our maintenance team to help keep the Villa in optimal condition. Assist with repairs, installations, technical running systems and more.
- We also offer co-op placements in:
- Human Resources
- Health & Safety
- Marketing & Communications
- Physiotherapy & Occupational Therapy
How do I get started?
- Complete an Interview with the Manager of Volunteer Services.
- Provide an Original copy of a Police Check (if you are under 18 years of age) OR a Police Check with Vulnerable Screening (if you are 18 years of age or older). This cannot be older than six months.
- Complete Two Step TB Testing – this can be done at your doctor’s office. We will need verification that this test was completed with results. This cannot be older than one year.
- Submit Paperwork from your school to the Manager of Volunteer Services (i.e. confirmation of placement, WSIB forms)
- Provide 2 References – Two reference checks will be completed prior to your first day.
- Attend Orientation – Participation in a volunteer orientation will be required once all documents are received.
Who can I contact for more co-op information?
Please call Deborah at 905-627-3541 x2240 or email firstname.lastname@example.org